Independent Living Units
BSL’s Independent Living units provide secure, affordable housing to older people on low incomes to allow them to live independently. The service is the only one of its kind in inner Melbourne providing additional welfare support, outreach and social connection opportunities.
We understand that living at home helps to maintain a sense of wellbeing and quality of life. Our secure tenure accommodation gives tenants stability and the confidence to feel safe, secure and settled.
We operate three Independent Living sites in inner Melbourne. All are close to local amenities, health services, parks, shops and public transport.
To be eligible for the BSL Independent living accommodation people must:
- Be aged over 55 years
- On a low income – on an aged care or disability pension with few assets
- Not be a property owner in the past two years
- Be fully independent with all activities of daily living
- Able to attend their own medical appointments.
The sites are close to BSL headquarters in Fitzroy
- Millott House– nine furnished bedsitters with shared laundry facilities
- Palmer Street – 10 one bedroom flats
- Sidney Myer House– 15 rooms each with an ensuite, shared kitchen, a spacious common living area and laundry facilities.
Please note, some of our independent living accommodation is located upstairs without access for people with physical disabilities.
The designated welfare worker from the Coolibah Social Connections and respite team provides the following support for residents:
- Supervision and support of living arrangements
- Welfare and social support needs
- Access to Coolibah Social Connections Hub
- Emergency and after-hours maintenance issues.