The Brotherhood of St. Laurence (BSL) Aged Care, Social Connections and In Home Support program, offers wellness and reablement programs in five locations, Fitzroy, Carrum Downs, Greenvale, Frankston, and Craigieburn, helping older people and their carers to connect with the community, make friends and maintain wellbeing.
BSL’s In Home Support services deliver person centred domestic and social support.
Social hubs and community access
Our social hubs provide a warm and welcoming place to visit, whether it be to attend a program, join a group, participate in an event or to receive guidance from a member of our team.
Examples of programs available include:
- Virtual reality: using goggles walk your childhood street or have a guided tour through Europe
- Virtual social groups: we lease iPads so clients can engage in social activities from the comfort of their own home. This can be with support from a member of our team or independently
- Cooking: Good Food Matters program delivers healthy eating habits and skills, social cooking programs and events
- Reminisce: through journals, videos, writing in an individual or group-based approach
- Wellbeing: exercise activities, meditation, break out areas where clients can have a moment of reflection or a break from group environments
- Arts and crafts: we provide arts and crafts programs that stimulate the mind and provide a creative outlet
- Entertainment: embracing fun, we provide bingo, trivia and various group-based games
- Events: Cultural and themed events, festivals, annual fete, seasonal events, celebration of birthdays and lives.
- Technology classes: build the skills and confidence to use computers, tablets and smartphones.
In Home Support
In Home Support services provide the client with one-on-one person centred-care such as:
- Social support (individual) — includes visiting, telephone/web contact and accompanied activities like shopping
- Flexible respite care – in home (day) or overnight respite to support you and your carer by giving you both a break for a short period of time.
Cottage overnight respite
We offer overnight respite care, tailored to best fit your circumstances, in warm and welcoming surroundings, 7 days a week. We take the time to get to know you, understand your personal requirements and support you to make choices that give you peace of mind.
Activities during the day include art and music therapy, indoor bowls, games, gardening, outdoor leisure activities, friendship and much more.
For overnight respite, take a real break in 6 bed hotel-like accommodation. Each bedroom is complete with a large ensuite, hi-low bed, split system air conditioning, television with Netflix subscription, and is suitable for those using mobility aids or wheelchairs. In addition to the welcoming and warm accommodation, we also provide nutritional home cooked meals.
The cottage services operate 24/7, 365 days per year by our caring team of endorsed enrolled nurses and community support workers.
Centre based respite
Centre based respite services are facilitated by a team of friendly Community Support Workers, Monday to Friday and weekends inclusive. The wellness and reablement activities are focused on supporting and empowering clients to learn new skills and retain current skills.
Some of the services offered are:
- Health and wellness programs that promote vitality and enjoyment in life
- Online virtual programs providing access to those who cannot attend centre-based activities
- Group-based programs
- One on one individualised support
- Empowerment and personal growth programs
- Light refreshments provided.
Get in Touch
We take the time to get to know you so that we can tailor our services to suit your needs.
Call us on 1300 147 147 or complete the form below and we’ll be in touch to let you know how we can help.